Sunday, December 04, 2005

The prodigal blogger has returned!

Once I had a whiff of the pungent aroma that is Brooklyn, NY I knew that was truly home among family and friends. Feels great! what can I say? Alright now a recap of this weekend's events-

As mentioned this youth retreat was organized by my church "United Revival" so I'd say about 18 people attended including myself with activities spanning a full day and a half at Camp Deerpark. First night was interesting as I found out that the other church that was invited along is one that our church has close ties to, The Garifuna Mennonite church in The Bronx. You can find out about the Garifuna people here

I had my fill of those new Hershey s'mores candy bars Friday night so that probably kept me up another 2 hours seeing as how it's an unwritten rule that you should not sleep that first night but rather sneak out and see what you can get away with. I was done with that at 18. I did learn that one of my fellow brothers in Christ likes to sleep face up with a sheet covering him up tightly from head to toe giving the impression of a corpse in a body bag,

Saturday was filled with workshops discussing the meaning of Peace and God's calling. It got really interesting as the girls and boys were seperated for discussions on this.
Saturday night for whatever reason the kids gained a newfound interest in Monopoly, fun was had by all...cheaters included for a full 2 hour session. Apparently it wasn't over since they moved the game into the room I was sleeping in since it was a bigger space. Not sure if a fistfight broke out since I fell into a deep sleep afterwards. Interesting note: I found out that I apparently say the word "Si" in my slumber, spanish for yes--perhaps agreeing to date proposed by Natalie Portman? We'll never know.

Not much to mention about sunday since the entire area was covered in snow was apparently fell between the time I went to sleep and the Milton Bradly crew decided that their game was over. Thank God we made it home safely and I thank everyone involved for including me.
I have to say though that I really enjoyed the company of the Garifunas, some key people left their church in the past year but they're really hanging in there and their demonstration of faith in the face of adversity is really inspiring and showed me that I really do take a lot of things for grant. Hopefully the bond between the 2 churches will grow stronger.

Next post I'll talk about the key things anyone reading this blog should know...My church and my role in it.
Until next time.

No comments: