Tuesday, January 17, 2006

You've gotta deal sometimes.


Hey, I'm back. What do you say I do a little venting?? Great, fantastic...let's go!!!
Alright so one of the people on the worship team that I talked about in an earlier entry has left the group. This is just fine. After all this is a volunteer ministry and no one is receiving a paycheck at the end of the week for this, I know that I do it because it helps me connect to God since I don't pray or read the Bible every day and I accept that...I know that I should but for right now the music is what brought me to church and is what help keeps me grounded in the word and spirit. Now the reason I want to vent is how this person left, this person apparently thought he was going to be so slick but he's gonna realize one day how big this ministry is going to get and is going to realize that he missed out on a great opportunity because of his own insecurities.

This person came to the church with nothing but a cocky attitude and a mission to piss people off. The musical director (before our current one) and I took him under our wing recognizing some obvious talent and gave him all our attention and essentially showered him with gifts because we thought that he would really bring our worship team into a great new direction. WRONG! First mistake...we didn't get to know him personally enough to really make a decision on wheter he should join the group or not. He did join after a little while due to our lobbying and just couldn't back up the hype that admittedly the music director and I created for him although he did mention in a band meeting before joing that he would "improve us".
All he did in the subsequent months was show-off not his skills but this very annoying cockiness that just made me deny that it was an unattractive trait just because I initially put so much faith in him. I've seen the light though kiddies so don't worry. What he did contribute to the group was good but certainly nothing to hang the band's future on like I did.

I guess this type of thing happens all the time in Churches...person comes through with many promises, doesn't deliver and either he or she gets embarrassed and leaves church or just lingers on providing nothing else. Well apparently my pal Danny gets moved into the music director spot with me helping him which is another thing that this "lost" member never helped us out with. The team before had so much tension and lost a lot of morale because the group was treated as "Business as Usual". Get in, do your thing and leave. Once Danny and I took over we built up relationships with everyone in the group and tried to go back to basics which was realizing that this was for the glory of God and to bring his presence. Funny thing is that things were going much better than before and that's when the "lost" member started withdrawing from the group. He began to miss rehearsals and apparently thinking he was good enough to play with us the very next day since we practiced on Saturdays. Lame excuse after lame excuse just made Danny and I not rely on him anymore and recently after 2 weeks of No-shows with no excuse whatsoever he makes it known--Not to us--that he's done with band. Can you imagine that? We had to hear second hand that one of the members of the team left us.

Apparently it seemed cool to him to just simply not show up, not back up why he didn't show up and let us take the hint? I've thought about this many, many times this week and sure I'd rather he leave than deal with his shadiness but man oh man why are you going to do something as backhanded as that? Oh right the reason he left, mind you I heard this second hand--He didn't like the way things were running, late fees for tardiness and absences were the straw that broke the camel's back in his opinion. So just when things were going much better with the group after 6 months of darkness and those fees were were put into place to discourage lateness and non-attendance (which by the way he apparently reveled in) he decides to leave because he wants to be cheap. Trust me when I say this, if the group were run like an evil empire like he claims...I'd expose it right now but that's just simply not the case. My human side called this person by many expletives but my christian side prevails now and then so I say God Bless Him....that's all. I want to be honest with everyone reading this and that whomever is dealing with this right now...you have to learn how to cut your losses and early before you can allow it to do damage to whatever ministry you take a part in.

No comments: